Recently, we have seen an increase in fraud attempts to "renew" the domain sent via email to several of our customers.
The fraud attempt appears to have been professionally and thoroughly carried out, but it is possible to see some signs that it is not legitimate. Here is what to look for:
- Sender pretends to be "Domeneshop", but the email address is not ours.
- The email contains a link to "complete the renewal". The text suggests that the link goes to domeneshop.no, but if you look closer, it goes to a completely different address.
- The expiration date is in international format (YYYY-MM-DD) and does not match the actual expiration date of the domain.
- Customers who have an email with us will see that the message has a high spam score, customers with extra automatic spam filtering get the message directly in the spam folder.
- Link directly to payment in the e-mail (we link to a digital invoice which is on our website).
These characters may vary from attempt to attempt, but pay special attention to emails that do not come from a Domainnameshop email address and where the link appears to go to Domainnameshop, but does not actually do so.